Monday, April 24, 2006

The Cold Hard Facts

Spring in North Carolina brings the blooming dogwoods, the frenzied flight of birds and bees, and of course, the rising mercury. The warmer temperatures also signal the end of my season-long science experiment in which I was both subject and scientist. Through most of the winter, I tested my own ability to bear the cold conditions in my apartment without turning on the heat. My findings, despite their basis on a sole participant, have implications for all black people everywhere. In order to withstand the review of my colleagues in the scientific community, I present my observations and findings below in the standard (if elementary) scientific method format. Let me school ya.

Preliminary Research
: 1) Black people do not like cold weather. We don't like the winter. We don't like snow or any other form of cold weather precipitation. We don't like skiing or any other cold weather outdoor activities. We don't like seeing our breath when we breathe. We don't like shivering. We do not like frostbite. We think white people are crazy for liking all those things. 2) Black people do not like paying utility bills. This includes the gas bill, the light bill, the water bill, the phone bill and the cable bill. We make every effort to keep each bill as low as possible. Water must not drip. Lights must be turned off the instant they are no longer in use. We do not accept collect calls. We prefer to watch HBO, Cinemax and Pay Per View via an illegal converter box. 3) When efforts to avoid to the cold (Preliminary Research, Part 1) conflict with efforts to keep the bills low (Preliminary Research, part 2), black people face an agonizing conflict of conscience.

Question: How much is an African American male willing to freeze to save a little money on the bills each month?

Hypothesis: I believe a black man will endure sub-freezing temperatures before paying an exorbitant amount of money for mere creature comforts.

Experimentation:

Month One: The first month of winter served as the control for the experiment. I needed one warm pay period to establish the financial costs of warmth. Also, I was working with the assumption that black people don't tend to plan in advance for financial hardship. It usually catches us off guard (in this case, in the form of a ridiculously high gas bill). I set the thermostat to 72 degrees.

Month Two: The first bill arrived and I cried for two days and nights. Then I began the experiment in earnest, turning the heat completely off. After a couple of consecutive nights of sub-freezing temperatures, the conditions in the apartment were literally bone-chilling. Somehow it was colder inside than outside. My second toes, which are longer than my big toes and protrude farther from the warmth of my body, turned purple. My balls drew up into my torso. I became worried that I would freeze to death and no one would find me until the spring, so I turned the thermostat up to 58 degrees.

Months Three and Four: The second bill arrived. It was 75 percent less than the first! But since I'd already realized that I couldn't enjoy my savings from the grave, I left the thermostat at 58. The apartment was still far too cold for a black man's comfort, but with two pairs of sweatpants, four long-sleeve T-shirts, a hoodie, three pairs of socks (one thermal), and five blankets, I was able to keep my innards warm. Like that I persevered through the rest of the season with only a slight increase in the bill.

Analysis and Conclusion: The facts did not support my hypothesis. As the results show, black people cannot endure sub-freezing temperatures even when it means saving an extra hundred dollars a month. We are not white, after all. We can, however, endure moderately cold temperatures. And one fact is clear: we will push to the very limits of our survival when money is on the line.

16 Comments:

Blogger Dominikimchee said...

ummm...have your balls dropped back down yet?

12:50 AM  
Blogger SexyCool said...

good to see ya' back...i've missed you......and kim....

6:36 PM  
Blogger The Quintessential Negro said...

Nice to be back. Now I just have to stay!

8:46 PM  
Blogger The Fool said...

This must mean I'm African-American! Wait, let me check...nope. Something else is at work here. Is there another way to test this hypothesis?

9:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've got a way to stay warm and keep a low light bill. I am Black and don't like cold weather either. I moved to Southern Florida where it is 85 degress on Christmas and New Years day. I love it. It is summer daily. That's the cure for cold weather.

10:48 AM  
Anonymous Eric said...

I've noticed black people dissapear outside when its cold. I wonder why. White people are not that biologically different to support the theory that we can stand the cold.

4:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I work in home health and all black people keep their air off. Even when it's 100 degrees outside! This is just wrong. They have NO RESPECT for people who are trying to help keep them healthy.
They will watch sweat drip off your face before they will turn their air on.

3:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"because they are niggers" thats the answer to all the shit they do...

6:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm an African American and I love cold weather, and my heater does not come on until January in my house

4:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Niggers are retarded!!!!!

5:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you like it cold but work in a hot place in the winter, make sure the bottom layer is whereby you are dressed for summer. If you like it hot, try moving to a hot climate place like Florida.

In my case, I like it cold so attempting to visit Florida is completely out of the question. In fact, Florida is in the catagory of a place to visit ONLY in case of an emergency landing! That's because of it having permanent summer - and people (with any old color scheme) get stingy with the A/C. And that doesn't include the nasty political climate down there.

If you are black, you'd want to try the south half of Florida because the whities are not necessarily Trump voters like in the north half.

7:42 AM  
Blogger James Matheson said...

Its is fish from cold climates and food from cold climates that stops the brain from being damaged from the cold. Whale and seal meat stop the brain from being damaged from the cold. Chicken is an animal from a warm region and doesnt have the right oil in its blood to stop the cold. We should haverst animals from the cold indoors for human consumption. There is no other way to stop the effects of the cold. Whites and asians know this. All their food comes from cold regions.

3:03 AM  
Blogger James Matheson said...

They just eat the wrong food

3:05 AM  
Blogger James Matheson said...

You should preach eating food from cold regions like whale and seal meat. They have oil that when people eat it blocks the cold.

3:07 AM  
Blogger James Matheson said...

They just eat the wrong food

3:08 AM  
Blogger James Matheson said...

Its is fish from cold climates and food from cold climates that stops the brain from being damaged from the cold. Whale and seal meat stop the brain from being damaged from the cold. Chicken is an animal from a warm region and doesnt have the right oil in its blood to stop the cold. We should haverst animals from the cold indoors for human consumption. There is no other way to stop the effects of the cold. Whites and asians know this. All their food comes from cold regions.

3:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

.